ASI Special Needs Internship
Special needs coaches help foster physical development through gymnastics instruction to special needs children. They use patience, creativity, and tenacity to get their students to strive for excellence. They create a fun-filled environment while helping students achieve short-term and long-term physical and behavioral goals. They are trained to modify ASI’s standard gymnastics curriculum to suit each individual child’s needs.
Special needs interns will work side by side with the Gymmie Kids program director to gain knowledge on the most common childhood disorders, disabilities, and impairments. They will be trained on basic and intermediate gymnastics skills and will learn how to coach our two different special needs class options; shadow coaching and private lessons. They will have the opportunity to observe student evaluations. They will meet regularly with the program director and be given outside tasks that will give them a well-rounded education on adaptive gymnastics.
We are looking for applicants who are dependable, patient, and interested in helping children with intellectual and physical disabilities. Availability in the afternoons and weekends is a must. Previous gymnastics experience in not a requirement, as ASI provides comprehensive training to all employees. In addition, we provide highly competitive pay and benefits, including tuition reimbursement for college students.
ASI Gymnastics’ Gymmie Kids program is a gymnastics program tailored to each exceptional child’s particular needs and is goal-directed towards gaining strength, improving gross motor movement, and increasing confidence while learning gymnastics skills at the same time. The Special Needs Internship at ASI Gymnastics provides interns with an overview of basic gymnastics safety and skills, the ability to work directly with staff and supervisors that are knowledgeable in the sport of gymnastics, and the ability to learn how to instruct children with special developmental, intellectual, and physical needs. Students will have a chance to work with special populations such as those with Down Syndrome, Autism Spectrum Disorder, physical impairments, and neuromuscular disorders.
- Students will be responsible for required readings.
- Students will go through basic training for safety purposes.
- Students will assist special needs classes as well as recreational classes for early childhood.
- Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher to be eligible for our internship program.
- Student must have some experience working with children.
- Students must be enrolled at a university the semester of the internship.
- Fill out the ASI Internship Application.
- Upload resume along with the application.
- Submit 2 letters of recommendation: one from a professor and one from someone who has directly observed you interact with children. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit official or unofficial transcripts for all universities attended. Email to email@example.com